Farrell

Trolley Upload Status:

Completed

Headquarters:

Newton, New Jersey

Also sold under the names (if applicable):

History:

Scan 1
John F. Farrell (1846 – 1931)

John Farrell patented the design for a novel hay fork in 1883  and manufactured them for a time on his farm in Green Township, using steel frames forged in Pittsburgh. On March 31, 1893, John Huston and Andrew Van Blarcom sold the house at the corner of Madison and Halsted Streets, formerly owned  by Elijah Rosenkrans, to John Farrell of Andover Township for $3,500. Martin Ryerson had erected the dwelling on this lot for Allen Rosenkrans in 1857.Contractor Simeon S. Cook built John F. Farrell’s Hay Fork Manufactory, 130 by 50 feet, two  stories in height, on Madison Street in January 1894. A blowing forge and trip hammer were added to the factory, enabling Mr. Farrell to forge the steel frames into shape.

Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 6.51.16 AMBy June 1895, Mr. Farrell was employing fifteen men and had recently added an addition to his plant. He had also purchased the adjoining house and lot at the corner of Hasted and Madison Streets, on the rear of which he erected his sawing house, while storing his lumber on the rear of the lot. Power was furnished by a twenty-horsepower engine and boiler. On June 24, 1895, Mr. Farrell commenced the manufacture of 3,000 peach baskets per day, employing about fifteen boys. William D. Farrell (1876 – 1908) returned from a sojourn in the South in January 1903 and formed a partnership with his father, John Farrell, at their machine shop. New and improved machinery was added and a specialty made of automobile repairs.FARR 10

Frank Ingersoll Farrell (1885 – 1960) was born August 26, 1885 in Andover N.J. He attended the English and Classical School at Newton N.J., graduated from Princeton A.B. with the class of 1907, and from Harvard Law School in 1910. On Sept. 20. 1911 he married Mary Buzzell at Ocean Park, Maine. He practiced law in Boston from 1910 to 1914, and then joined his inventor father in managing the firm of John Farrell and Son, manufacturers of Farrell Hay Tools. In 1931 he became the sole owner, and in 1947 he disposed of his interests and retired. Frank was president of the Newton Library Association and clerk of the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church at Newton. A pillar of his community, he was a loyal Princetonian. He attended most of the class reunions, where he was a familiar and popular figure.

Source: Newton Industries by Kevin Wright and Princeton Alumni Weekly, November 11. 1960

Click or scroll to an image to see details on Farrell's items:
  

Announcements

Here are the latest additions to the site

====>> WORK CONTINUES IN THE RESEARCH SECTION <<====

WOW! NEW! – APPLETON – HOFFMAN – ROWELL – LOUDEN – EAGLE – OBORN – E. L. WALKER – Every trolley ever produced now loaded!