Valentine L. Ney (1854-1947)
VALENTINE L. NEY was born in the city of Canton, Ohio, on the 11th of October, 1854, being a son of Valentine and Elizabeth Ney, both of whom were born and reared in the kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, where their marriage was solemnized. The former was born in the year 1803 and his wife in 1807. In 1840 they severed the ties which bound them to home and fatherland and emigrated to America, landing in New York City. They made their way by railroad to Pittsburg and then onward by wagon to New Baltimore, Stark County, Ohio, in which vicinity Mr. Ney was engaged in farming for a period of ten years, and then, after residing for a short interval in the city of Canton, he removed to a farm four miles south of the city, in Canton township, where he remained until 1888.
When he retired from active business and again took up his residence in Canton, where he died in the year 1890, at the venerable age of eighty-seven years. His wife passed away in 1891, at the age of eighty- two years and both having been consistent and devoted members of the German Reformed church, while Mr. Ney was a stanch advocate of the principles and policies of the Democratic party.
Of the children of this union we incorporate the following record: Frederick is a resident of Whitley county, Indiana, and is at the present time incumbent of the office of county commissioner; Catherine is the wife of Charles Volzer, of Canton: Louisa is the wife of Alexander Howenstine, of this city; Jacob also is a resident of Canton, as is Caroline, the wife of John Frey; Sarah is the wife of John Stucker, of Canton township. Elizabeth is the wife of John Volzer, of Canton ; and Valentine L. is the immediate subject of this sketch. When Valentine L. Ney was a mere child his parents removed from Canton to the farm four miles south of the city, and there he attended the district schools during the winter terms until he had attained the age of seventeen years, while during the summer seasons he assisted in the work of the farm. At the age of sixteen he entered upon an apprenticeship at the carpenter trade, having early manifested a distinct mechanical genius, and he soon became an expert artisan in the line, and for a long term of years devoted his attention to work as a journeyman and a contracting builder, having erected several hundred houses in this section of the state, principally in Stark county, where he attained a high reputation as an able and trustworthy contractor.
In the meanwhile he became the inventor of several useful devices in a mechanical line, and in attempting to secure patents on the same was involved in litigation, which was carried on for about four years, he finally winning out. In 1892 he formed a co-partnership with Robert Ostermeier, they engaging in business as architects in Canton, as the firm of Ney & Ostermeier, continuing for two years. In 1893 Mr. Ney organized the V.L. Ney Manufacturing Company, for the manufacture of his inventions, he becoming treasurer of the company and continuing so to the present and it is largely due to his able efforts that the concern has attained so great a success, its products now finding a ready demand in the most diverse sections of the Union.
Mr. Ney is also largely interested in city real estate in the north end, which he is rapidly improving, when the improvements are completed he will have one of the finest properties in Canton. In politics Mr. Ney has ever been stanchly arrayed in support of the principles and policies of the Democratic party, though he has never desired the honors or emoluments of political office, his first vote was cast for William Allen for governor of Ohio, at the time of his nomination for a second term. He united with the Reformed church when fourteen years of age, while his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. On the 28th of October, 1890, Mr. Ney was united in marriage to Miss Edith Holm, daughter of George and Catherine (Buchtel) Holm, of Canton, and of this union two children have been born, Wendell, who is eight years of age. and Valeda, aged five years at the time of this writing.
Source: Old Landmarks of Canton and Stark County, Ohio by John Danner published 1904