JULIUS LINDSEY MALCOLM 1853 – 1923
Julius Lindsey Malcolm, merchant, was born in New Athens, Harrison county, Ohio, December 8, 1853. He is a son of the late Alexander and Eliza Jane (Lindsey) Malcolm, the former a native of Baltimore, whose father came to the United States from Edinburgh early in the century, the latter a native of Washington county, Pa., whose Scottish ancestors were early settlers of the State. Alexander Malcolm was a farmer. He died in 1896. His wife still lives in the old homestead in Ohio. Julius L. Malcolm completed his education at Franklin college. New Athens, O., taught for one year in this locality and was then appointed principal of the Blissfield (Mich.) school. After one year of this latter service he returned to Ohio, where he was for five years engaged in teaching school and during this period took up the study of law under the preceptorship of Judge Cowen, of St. Clairsville, O. Upon completing his legal studies ill health compelled him to abandon the practice of his chosen profession. After an additional year spent in school teaching in Washington county. Pa., Mr. Malcolm accepted a special agency for the southern States, with headquarters at Nashville, Tenn., for C. Aultman & Co., agricultural implement manufacturers, Canton, Ohio. During the prevalence of the yellow fever epidemic of 1879, Mr. Malcolm’s headquarters were removed to Lexington, Ky. He was subsequently engaged in other localities particularly throughout the North West including Manitoba, for the same concern until 1881. In the latter year he formed a partnership association with J. A. Denny to carry on a hardware business at Canonsburg, Pa. In 1882 this partnership was dissolved, Mr. Malcolm accepting a position as traveling salesman for Scobie, Harrison & Parker, Pittsburg, Pa. March i, 1883, he came to Uniontown and embarked in his present business, which in addition to its hardware and agricultural implement departments, also embraces the first general house furnishing goods department established in the county. Mr. Malcolm was the first tenant in the Opera House block, where he is still located. He was one of the founders of the first Young People’s Christian association, of Uniontown, has been a life long member of the Presbyterian church, and was one of the members of the First Presbyterian church to organize the Central Presbyterian church, of which latter he is now a member. The edifice in which this congregation originally worshiped was burned, and the present handsome structure which was erected on its site, was built under the immediate supervision of Mr. Malcolm, who as secretary of the building committee superintended its construction throughout, and was in fact the main factor in causing its erection, through his liberal personal contributions and his most effective work in securing contributions to the building fund. He was married January i8, 1881, to Anna Mary, daughter of the later Matthew Reid Welch, for many years a leading farmer of Washington county, Pa. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Malcolm are Mary, Janet E., John A., Lola, Ethel and Reed Welch. One child, Elizabeth, died in infancy. The family reside at 216 West Main street.